mental health first aid training
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) is an internationally recognised training course developed by Mental Health First Aid England.
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA)
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) is an internationally recognised training course developed by Mental Health First Aid England. It is the mental health equivalent of physical first aid and is designed to raise the awareness of mental health in the workplace and reduce the stigma surrounding mental health issues
Embedding Mental Health First Aid training into your organisation or community encourages people to talk more freely about mental health, promoting early intervention which enables recovery, reducing stigma and creating a more positive culture.
Having a qualified Mental Health First Aider in the workplace provides a point of contact for an employee who is experiencing a mental health issue or emotional distress. This interaction could range from having an initial conversation through to supporting the individual to get appropriate help.
In a crisis, Mental Health First Aiders can spot the signs of mental ill health and are valuable in providing early support for someone who may be developing a mental health issue.
The two day Mental Health First Aid training course teaches practical skills that can be used every day, including being able to recognise the signs and symptoms of mental health issues and feel confident guiding people towards the right professional support.
How is MHFA used to support staff?
The course will:
- Give a deeper understanding of the issues that impact on and relate to people’s mental health
- Teach practical skills that can be used every day, including being able to spot the signs and symptoms of mental health issues and feel confident guiding people towards appropriate support
Independent research and evaluation shows that taking part in an MHFA course:
- Raises awareness and mental health literacy
- Reduces stigma around mental ill health and feel confident guiding people towards appropriate support
- Boosts knowledge and confidence in dealing with mental health issues
Encourages people to start a conversation with a person who may be experiencing a mental health issue
Promotes early intervention which enables recovery MHFA won’t teach you how to be a therapist, but you will be able to say you’re a Mental Health First Aider.
What will I learn on a two day MHFA course?
Our MHFA instructors deliver training in four manageable chunks, each with a focus on how to apply Mental Health First Aid skills.
Workshop content overview
- Session one -Mental Health First Aid, mental health, and depression.
- Session two – Depression (continued) and suicidal crisis.
- Session three – Anxiety, personality disorders, eating disorders and self-harm.
- Session four – Psychosis, schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.
Everyone who attends the course will receive a copy of the MHFA manual and workbook, which are both excellent support resources. When you have completed the course you will also receive a certificate to confirm that you are a trained Mental Health First Aider.
How much will it cost?
A two day course for up to 12 delegates £2,250 +VAT
A two day course for up to 16 delegates £2,450 +VAT