Lose weight – 4 golden rules to follow!
1 – Avoid temptations
• Place them out of site
• Avoid cups of tea/coffee they tempt you to eat sweet things
• Write down “I was tempted because…..’ every time you are tempted
2- Drink more water each day – especially if you’re hungry
The amount of fluids we should drink will vary from person to person based on their individual needs and lifestyle, that’s why current guidelines recommend a range of between 1.8 and 2.0 litres (6-8 250ml glasses) of fluid every day. However, if you have a physical active job, or work in an air conditioned office, you may need to take on board extra fluids
• Drink a 250ml glass of water when you wake up and at breakfast, lunch and dinner – that’s one litre!
• Keep topped up during the day by sipping from a bottle of water
• Congratulations, you’ve met your recommended fluid intake … it really is that simple!
3 – Eat well – move more
• Eat smaller portions – especially bread, potatoes, pasta, rice
• Reduce high fat or high sugar meals/snacks
• Exercise every day for at least 30 minutes
If you have a medical condition, such as diabetes that is affected by what you eat and what you drink you must check with your GP first before implementing any of these habits. This is particularly the case with drinking more water and implementing dietary changes.
Also, please check that it is safe for you to increase your activity levels before starting any exercise programme. If you have lost lots of weight or gained weight unexpectedly contact your GP to check you over.
4 – Find a buddy
Pair up with someone similar to you. Join a group and get support from family, friends – tell them you are trying to lose weight so that they avoid tempting you.